As a restorer there is a line between or a area where we have to throw are hands up and say.
Sorry but that job is beyond restoration or more to the point. The cost out weighs the article.
This is even truer today but as people who know me, I am a sucker for a restoration Conservation challenge and this project I have just finished is just the case.
A windsor chair made of Elm for the seat, Witch Elm for the back two legs and one curves arm surport. The rest is Yewwood plus two old short length replacement spindles being of Oak.
The chair came to me basically in a large box with very loose legs and stretchers, broken spindles and top crest as well as the stem bent arm section being in three section after someone else trying there restoration work.
As the chair belongs to a collectors museum this chair historically is worth my time.
First was to dismantle which was not really a problem but the damage and missing section to the arm curve was a problem.
Previous restoration by PVA glue and screws plu the odd nail all had to be removed before full dismantle.
After some time remove old glue back to clean timber faces I had to use the strongest glue possible becase the yewwood was already under pressure which traditional Animal glue would not hold.
This section I glued with a Epoxy resin to consolidate this main section and at the same time I also glue missing yewwood and witch elm to both curved arm where needed.
Once all was dry and cleaned the process of making and fixing rhe missing section began.
As the arm is steam bent I knew the only safe way because of movement and tension was to make it in three small section then glue and carve once dry.
Once the glue had gone off I could dry fix in the correct postion so to mark out for the new drill holes needed to take the one through spindle an two short spindles as well as the main hole for the top arch crest.
Once marked the holes were drilled then shaped to now take the old oxidized timber.
After some filing the arem section was glued into place with the three missing spindles.
Lastly because of the age Circa 1810 plus the length of time the top crest had been out it came to me split in two.
Some work was need first to clean up the two parts and then it was all glued back into position.
The last job was to clean up all the repairs once dry and colour out those areas only.
I finished just by using my hard beeswax polish to bring back its colour and reflection.
From a broken mess to the early rare signed John Hubbard of Grantham chair to which now can go back into place for show.